Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lennon's Killer is "Sorry"

Last month, 53-year old Mark David Chapman, the man who shot and killed John Lennon almost three decades ago, told a parole panel he is "ashamed" and "sorry" for the murder. Said Chapman:
I recognised that that 25-year-old man, I don't think he really appreciated the life that he was taking, that this was a human being. I feel now at 53 I have grown into a deeper understanding of what a human life is. I have changed a lot.
It was the fifth attempt by Chapman for parole and the request is reported to have been denied "immediately" out of "concern for public safety and welfare." Indeed, over a thousand people signed a petition protesting any possible release of Chapman, who will remain in an isolated unit in Attica until his next hearing, August of 2010. In the past, Lennon's widow has expressed her own view that Chapman should not be released.

In related news, Charles Manson was denied parole for the 11th time in May of 2007 and will try again in 2012. Sirhan Sirhan was denied for the 13th time in March of 2006 and will try again in 2011. See story Chapman here and here

No comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online